ReLEx (Refractive Lenticule Extraction) is the newest minimally invasive refractive surgery for correction of refractive errors
ReLEx uses the femtosecond laser from Carl Zeiss VisuMax in its most advanced form to correct myopia and astigmatism. Similar to the LASIK approach, ReLEx changes the corneal curvature to correct for the refractive error. However, instead of using the microkeratome blade to cut the flap as in LASIK, it uses the femtosecond laser to make a small (2-5 mm) incision for more accuracy and precision. With a special software program from Carl Zeiss Meditec, Germany, the Visumax calculates the amount and shape of corneal curvature change required to correct the refractive error and makes a customized lenticule in the middle layer of the cornea. This refractive lenticule is extracted (instead of using excimer laser to change curvature of the cornea as in LASIK/FemtoLASIK/PRK) from the small incision.
Advantages of ReLEx
- It gives more comfort to patients during surgery as the femtosecond laser creates the pre-calculated lenticule incision with utmost precision and predictability in the cornea. This lenticule is then removed from a small incision which is only 2-5 mm. This makes quick and easy procedure with no pressure from any mechanical instruments on the eyes.
- Gives corneal structure more stability since there is no flap created
- ReLEx gives more natural curvature of the cornea after surgery compared to excimer laser in LASIK or PRK resulting in better night vision quality.
- High precision femtosecond laser can create lenticule with high level predictability.
- Can correct myopia and astigmatism from -1.00 to -13.00 diopters
- ReLEx uses the newest technology of correcting vision potentially resulting in better vision and fewer side effects after surgery.
- Less dry eye symptoms since ReLEx causes less disturbance to the corneas
Who may be qualified for ReLEx?
- People who are at least 18 years of age and have had stable vision for at least one year and those who are not over 65 years of age.
Remark: All minors under age 20 are required to have a guardian present to give permission. TRSC has the right to refuse service if there is no guardian present
- People who have no corneal diseases or other eye diseases, for example; significant retinal degeneration, severe eye dryness.
- People who have no complicating diseases, which may affect the eye’s healing process, such as SLE (lupus), Sjogren’s syndrome, Psoriasis and diabetes (not well-controlled).
- Please be aware that certain medications need to be discontinued for a significant period of time before the examination and surgery.
- Acne medications such as, Roaccutane, Acnotin, Isotret etc. need to be discontinued at least one month before an eye examination
- Please inform the doctor upon the eye examination if taking medications for diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol, thyroid and all kinds of sleeping pill.
- Women who are not pregnant. If planned to have a baby, it is recommended to wait at least 3 months after eye surgery.
- After giving birth, a woman should wait at least 2 menstruation cycles for hormones to return to normal levels
- People with normal mental health.
- Must have the pre-operative eye examination performed by TRSC in order to make certain that all measurements meet our standards and a good candidate for ReLEx.
- People who have a complete and detailed understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of ReLEx, and have realistic expectations of the outcomes.